Here is a quick guide to installing a FreeBSD Desktop - No prior knowledge required!
Have you always wanted to experiment with FreeBSD? Do you need a guide to get quick results? Download our new FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE desktop installation ebook and you will soon be up and running! Includes the following topics:
- Installing the Base System: Complete step by step installation with images
- Updating the Base System: Use freebsd-update to get the latest fixes
- Configuring pkg: Use packages of the new pkgng system to install software
- Installing Basic Command Line Tools: Install and configure bash, sudo and other tools
- Installing and Configuring the Xorg Server
- Installing and Configuring the XFCE Desktop Environment
- Installing Applications: Firefox, Chromium, Mplayer, Vlc, LibreOffice
- Installing and Configuring Java and Flash plugins
Many other settings and configuration examples are provided. Some configuration files are available for download to avoid lengthy and error prone editing.
Download PDF: FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE: Base System to Desktop Environment
The LaTeX source of the guide is also available.
I'll be more than happy to receive your comments and questions.